Derby & County athletic club was founded in 1887 when 5 members of St Johns Church Men’s Bible Class were introduced to cross-country running by the Rev. Hall-Prior.
By the 1890′s the group had grown to over 200, and their team had won the Midland counties Junior Cross-Country Championships.
Standards continued to improve, with club members representing Great Britain in the Olympics in 1964, 1988 and 2004.
By 1980 the club was also taking part in Road Running and Track and Field Athletics. The latter was significantly helped by the decision of Derby City Council to upgrade the facilities at Moorways to include a national standard eight lane all-weather track.
As a result of this, the club moved its HQ from The Wagon and Horses (near St. John’s Church on Ashbourne Road) to Moorways, and in 1989 the present day clubhouse was built onto the back of the grandstand.
In 1949 in response to the efforts of a local education officer, a Ladies athletic club was formed in Derby, and by 1958 members were achieving National, International, and Olympic honours, the most celebrated being the 2000 World Long Jump Champion Fiona May.